The February 22 meeting of the Newport Center Toastmasters Club was attended by 27 members and four guests: Jessica Roerig (4th visit), Josephine Lee, Diala Hakim (both 2nd visit), Olivia Kerkhoff (1st visit).
Our location is at the East Bluffs Homeowners Community at 2414 Vista Del Oro, Newport Beach.
Feel free to visit our club’s website at newportcentertoastmasters.org
Also see https://www.facebook.com/NewportCenterToastmasters and we are on Meetup.com
The theme was: “Taking Risks”. The word of the day was: “acumen”.
The winners were:
Best Table Topics = Cynthia Gibbs
Spark Plug = none
Risk Taker = Ron Anderson
Best Evaluator = Joan Clayton
Most Improved Speaker = Yechen Wang
Second Best Speaker = Yechen Wang
Best Speaker = Michael McMahon
Presiding: Katharine Hanson
Toastmaster: Sandra Printer
Table Topics Master: Mark Mannon
General Evaluator: Lauren Tung
Ron Anderson – Number 4 – “How I came of Age Twice”
Yechen Wang – Number 4 – “Energy Vampire”
Michael McMahon- Advance Persuasive Speaking – Number 3 – “Proposal: Save Lives”
Les Jenison graciously gave up his turn to speak because of time constraint. Thank you, Les.
Evaluators: John Hawekotte, Roman Vilenski, Joan Clayton.
– Please always bring and use your manuals, both Competent Communicator and Competent Leadership.
– It is important to keep our introductions, Invocation, toast, educational minute and joke, short.
– Please note that we are not to park in the street because it is reserved for the residents.
– Katharine announced that next week our club will have the Table Topics and the International Speech Contests. The winners will move to the Area Contest on March 12.
– Diana reminded us that the club dues of $75 for April through September are due and she will collect them beginning next week.
– Colette announced that the 6-months dues to Toastmasters will go up from $36 to $45 as of October 1.
– Dustin read the schedule for next week.